War

WAR

Image result for destruction photography

My knees buckled, the ground high to my eye,
a detached head rolling like pebble hit my thigh,
came to a halt, it did, and so did my sight,
the bruised face, the muddy hair, 
the blood leaking through,
and up was not a dawn, but cloudless grey sky.

My ears popped open, the voices were back,
the cry for help, the pin pulled off grenade,
my pain returned, the shot leg red,
and in front was a war,
unfolding through a threat,
mere at first but now a mess. 

My gun by my side, with bullets now gone,
a cry besides my own, trying to mourn,
my eye became dusty, vision becoming torn,
my time would be soon,
a bullet, a knife, a grenade lucky enough,
I was on a hook, attached like a prawn,

I remember my mother, her crying innocent face,
how they snatched me from her, brought me to base,
wasn’t the best I remember, ’twas a tough race,
and as I close my eye ready to die,
see her photo one last time,
wish I could’ve seen her again, wish this wasn’t a chase,


one that won’t ever end…

Comments